rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   6. RE: Anyone not using WDSC for RPG development (Wilt, Charles)
>
>Yes, it was a simple ROI calc.
>
>First off, that $700 PC was direct from HP and included Win XP Pro w/SP 2.
>
>In addition, you're overlooking that a company that size probably already has
>an image setup for a PC in that performance class that they are already buying.
>
>Probably don't have an image with WDSC on it; but when you're looking at doing
>75 PC's it would be worth creating one.

Perhaps this was beat to death here before I got my subscription going, but
I'll add a bit anyway.

It's reasonable to think that a large enough company will indeed have all the
above infrastructure in place, but it's neither guaranteed nor relevant. The
point of many was that they _in fact_ did not have appropriate PCs, hence the
irrelevance.

Their PCs at work were too slow, too unreliable, too short on disk, whatever.
They are almost by definition _not_ working for companies that have the
infrastructure to platoon in new higher-rated PCs and roll them out as on an
assembly line. They don't feel comfortable that requests for better equipment
will be met with a friendly attitude. They simply don't work in great
environments.

Those that are fortunate have probably mostly already made the migration. But
those that lag due to environment might not have choices. You can bet I'd find
it hard to shell out my own bucks to pay for my equipment, etc., in such an
environment, especially when a reasonable result could be resentment from those
around me. (But then, I probably wouldn't stay there for long anyway.)

On a side note, the thread in the RPG list on this brought to mind something
else. Many of the posts had the same issue of untrimmed messages as is often
seen on these lists. How can there be an expectation of learning to use WSDC
when such simple guidelines can't be followed? The sheer volume of features in
WDSC must be overwhelming.

Tom Liotta