From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: 04 June 2005 18:15
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] RE: WDSC and Code Designer - What is it?

 >> WDSC is the source editing tool by IBM build on
 >> the Eclipse platform.  For iSeries programmers
 >> - it's the best way to edit and compile iSeries
 >> source.  It's a product that is distributed as
 >> part of the OS/400 license package.

No disagreement about the modern tools being _the_ way to do development
but

Couple of corrections.  While it is shipped _with_ WDSc (which is based
on
Eclipse) the CODE Designer has its roots in the earlier CODE/400 tool
set.
This is important to understand if you do not have the kind of computing
horsepower needed to run WDSc.  CODE and CODE Designer have a much
smaller
footprint and will run OK on a PIII with 256Mb of memory.  As always
more
memory is useful but not needed if you don't need to run WDSc.

The current release (designated V5.1.2 - the release matches WebSphere
release numbers not OS/400) offer the opportunity to install just the
"classic" tools such as CODE without installing WDSc.

It is distributed not as part of OS/400 but rather as part of the
compiler
tools.  Not that this makes a lot of difference on a development box
but if you own a compiler, you own the tools.

Jon Paris
Company registered in England, number 2458169

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use by  of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are
not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message,
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for
any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment,
that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required, please request a hard-copy version. Any views or opinions presented
are solely those of the Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and do not necessarily represent
those of FormaServe Systems.