 >> WDSC is the source editing tool by IBM build on
 >> the Eclipse platform.  For iSeries programmers
 >> - it's the best way to edit and compile iSeries
 >> source.  It's a product that is distributed as
 >> part of the OS/400 license package.

No disagreement about the modern tools being _the_ way to do development but

Couple of corrections.  While it is shipped _with_ WDSc (which is based on
Eclipse) the CODE Designer has its roots in the earlier CODE/400 tool set.
This is important to understand if you do not have the kind of computing
horsepower needed to run WDSc.  CODE and CODE Designer have a much smaller
footprint and will run OK on a PIII with 256Mb of memory.  As always more
memory is useful but not needed if you don't need to run WDSc.

The current release (designated V5.1.2 - the release matches WebSphere
release numbers not OS/400) offer the opportunity to install just the
"classic" tools such as CODE without installing WDSc.

It is distributed not as part of OS/400 but rather as part of the compiler
tools.  Not that this makes a lot of difference on a development box ....
but if you own a compiler, you own the tools.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com
www.RPGWorld.com