I'm wondering if midrange-L or the web list would be better.  I mention
the midrange-l because IBM's God of SSO, Patrick Botz, frequents that
list.

IBM's Directory Server is an LDAP server.  LDAP = Lightweight Directory
Access Protocol.  Many software products will allow you to either set up a
local directory or use an ldap somewhere.  For instance, we use ldap
lookups for QuickPlace, Sametime, etc.  But that ldap is served up on a
different Domino server.  We are not using IBM's Directory Server, (yet).
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzahy/rzahyrzahywelpo.htm

Once you get ldap up and running I like the following tool for ldap
searches:
http://www.ldapadministrator.com/download/index.php?PHPSESSID=5d0ff41a37ba6f8ffc3d4148e779d54b

Rob Berendt