Basically you need to compose the XML and then connect to the end point
(destination web service) via sockets using HTTP as the protocol. Once the
document is sent a response is usually sent in the same request (depending
on whether you are doing async of sync requests). At that point you will
need to parse the response XML using and RPG XML parser. One can be found at
my site http://mowyourlawn.com - download XMLSAX, or on scottklement.com
which is an xml parser which operates similar to the SAX call back methods.

I use CGIDEV2 to compose the XML. Traditionally CGIDEV2 is used to output
webpages, but it also works great for templating any textual document (i.e.
emails, xml, etc).

For the sockets portion you can use bvstools.com's GETURI or
scottklement.com's HTTPTOOL.

WDSc has excellent tooling for web services if you are willing to have Java
do the communication and parsing/serializing.  The best part is that it
comes with the same WDSc that you get at no additional charge (you do not
need WDSc Advanced)!!

If you have a subscription to iSeriesNetwork.com take a look at an article I
wrote in March 2005 titled "WDSc and Java Web Services". It will show you
how to go about using the different tools to get you up and running fast
with Java and web services.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell