Paul- In your JSP, make sure you have the directive
<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=utf-8" %>

 at the top of the JSP. This lets the servlet/JSP engine know that you
will be outputing unicode.

In your Java application ( ie where you are writing to standard out) I
would do the following:
Writer out= new OutputStreamWriter(System.out, "UTF8");
out.write("hello1");
out.write("hello2");

-Sarah