After a few heart burning weekends, the following method, is what  I
employed to setup the Data and Quantum DB (plugin).

(1) Data Perspective - (Under the view - DB server- use NEW CONNECTION).
      for Database vendor type:   select "DB2 Universal Database for
iseries ... " (appropriate OS version)
      for JDBC driver:                  select "Other Driver "
            for JDBC driver class:      keyin
"com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver "
      for class location:              select  the appropriate "JT400.JAR"
(probably the latest and greatest version)
      for connection URL:              keyin "jdbc:as400://YOUR SYSTEM
NAME;translate binary=true"

(2) Quantum DB Perspective
      Pretty much the same thing, but once the driver is selected from the
list of 3rd party driver, all you have to use is proper driver/driver
class/version/path and for  the URL  keyin "jdbc:as400://YOUR SYSTEM
NAME;translate binary=true"

I thought, this might help someone else and avoid going thro' the
heartache, I have been thro' .  Though I have been working in Iseries, more
than a decade, I prefer  Quantum DB plugin (loads quicker all the views) no
offense to IBM. I am currently using these perspective as an interactive
SQL.

Good-luck, any help let me know.
Thanks for the group and Don for all the help
Jag

----- Forwarded by Jagadish Raghupathi/CIS/Schulman on 11/09/2004 03:59 PM
-----

                      Don Yantzi

                      <yantzi@xxxxxxxx         To:      jag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Quantum
DB / Data perspective question - Thanks
                      11/06/2004 10:52

                      AM

Hi Jag,

Glad to hear you got it figured out.  It would be great if you could post
that back to the mailing list so others can gain from this (and it will add
it to the archives so others can search on this in the future.)

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             jag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             com
             11/05/2004 03:27          Don Yantzi/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [WDSCI-L] Quantum DB / Data
                                       perspective question - Thanks

Don
      I figured it out, it is in the URL, I have to add  ";translaste
binary=true". Thanks for your help.

----- Forwarded by Jagadish Raghupathi/CIS/Schulman on 11/05/2004 03:26 PM
-----

                      Jagadish

                      Raghupathi               To:      Don Yantzi
<yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx>
                                               cc:

                      11/05/2004 02:45         Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L]
Quantum DB / Data perspective question(Document link: Jagadish
                      PM                       Raghupathi)

Don
      Thanks for the reply. The following is what I found.

File-1  which was entirely created using DDS which had  CCSID  as 65535
File-2  created using SQL (Create table with default CCSID) had   37
Whenever I run sql stmts using Quantum DB -Plugin(I am yet to try out in
DATA perspective yet)
File-1 was the only one with Hex, File-2 was fine.  I tried changing the
settings in Daemon, did not help.
The question I have is where to setup the JDBC translation (like we have in
OPSNAV).

Let me know, I would highly appreciate your help. Have a nice weekend.

                      Don Yantzi

                      <yantzi@xxxxxxxx         To:
jag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L]
Quantum DB / Data perspective question
                      11/05/2004 12:00

                      PM

Hi Jag,

What CCSID are the fields in the physical files?  If the CCSID is not 65535
then the data should be correctly translated from EBCDIC to ASCII (well
actually Unicode in Java) and should be readable.  I am assuming the ccsid
is currently set to 65535 and what you are seeing is the EBCDIC which will
not display in Java.  Is that correct?

As for which version of Toolbox you should use, just choose the directory
with the highest version number (i.e. 5.1.0.2).  You might also want to try
and download the latest version of the Toolbox from the JTOpen website (the
latest is 4.6, we shipped 4.2):

http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/detail.php?group_id=29&what=file&id=1448

Also here is a link to the supported Toolbox JDBC driver options:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzahh/page1.htm

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             jag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             com
             11/05/2004 08:04          Don Yantzi/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

                                                                   Subject
                                       [WDSCI-L] Quantum DB / Data
                                       perspective question

Don
      Being an IBMer, I thought I would have the question directed  towards
you. Could you help me in resolving my issue Pl. I would highly appreciate
it.

Thanks
Jag

----- Forwarded by Jagadish Raghupathi/CIS/Schulman on 11/05/2004 08:01 AM
-----

                      jag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      com                       To:
wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                  cc:

                      wdsci-l-bounces@m         Subject: [WDSCI-L] Quantum
DB / Data perspective question
                      idrange.com

                      11/04/2004 04:31

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      Websphere

                      Development

                      Studio Client for

                      iSeries

Could anybody, let me know, where to change the CCSID to 65535. Whenever I
run the sql scripts, my data is returned in Hex. This is even true with
DATA perspective not just plugins. Moreover when I try to setup the JDBC
drivers, I am not sure which JT400 is to be used either
" com.ibm.etools.iseries.toolbox_5.1.0.2 " or  "
com.ibm.etools.iseries.toolbox_5.1.0.1". I do have WDSC with 5.1.0.3
version.

Any help is highly appreciated.

-=- A. Schulman Inc. Email Disclaimer -=-

The content(s) of this e-mail and attachment(s) are confidential, may be
legally privileged and is for the use of the intended recipient only.
Access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on any of it by
anyone else is prohibited.  If received in error, please delete and e-mail
confirmation to the sender.

A. Schulman Inc. does not guarantee that the information sent and/or
received by or with this e-mail is correct and does not accept any
liability for damages related thereto.