My position on EJBs has not changed since the late 90's <grin>.

The issue is larger than that, however.  Your persistence architecture
should not have any effect on your overall application design.  It
should be transparent to the application programmer.

I think you should have business objects that talk to servers which in
turn talk to an implementation layer, and that layer should be "plug and
play", allowing you to use whichever database implementation best suits
you.  If your choice of persistence changes your application design,
then you application needs a new design.

Joe