I don't disagree with your general conclusions, but I would just point out
that the verify option is actually probably the most complicated piece in
WDSC.  They essentially have to write the majority of the compiler for the
PC environment not to mention all of the code that has to resolve
dependencies, such as external file descriptions and copybooks.

They have had a long time to get it right, but it isn't simple by any
means.

As for the editors, one of the difficulties is that RPG is a line oriented
language, as opposed to stream oriented.  The normal editing code for
things like delete, Enter, cut, copy and paste do not necessarily transfer
well to RPG.  Again, that is not an excuse, but the editor is probably
more complicated to deal with than the Java editor was in many ways.

Mark

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 09/15/2004 01:41:59 PM:

> Matt,
>
> I tried your suggestion, and when I start RSE, I get a bunch of errors
in
> the command log indicating that the libraries already exist in the
library
> list. Even after that it still won't verify. If I submit a compile to
the
> 400 the compile is successful. So I removed the libl entries from the
> connection properties. The odd thing is that verify worked fine as
> recently as last Friday and nothing has changed (at least that I'm aware

> of).
>
> My guess is that this is just another example of the instability of this

> product. IBM has got to do a better job with this beast.  I don't
> understand why something as simple as an rpgle verify doesn't  work
> consistenly. And simple things like Cut/Copy/Paste shouldn't be so
obtuse.
> I find myself using the UNDO so often that I resort to not using
> cut/copy/paste and just type the dang code instead.
>
> IBM has had years to get this right, and it still isn't making me more
> productive (as they advertised).
>
> Regards, Jerry
>
> Gerald Kern
> IBM Certified AS/400 RPG IV Developer & RPG IV Programmer
> MIS Project Leader, Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
> The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
> 4235 Secor Road
> Toledo, OH 43623-4299
> Phone 419-479-5535
> gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. by IBM Email Security Management Services