It depends on how you want to accomplish.

My understanding of VisualAge RPG is that you can create GUIs that run on
PCs and call RPG programs on the iSeries in classic client-server fashion.
I've never used this tool. But it sounds cool.

I have used Toolbox for Java a little bit. This is a free package (.jar
file) that comes with the iSeries or can be obtained as open-source under
the name JTOpen. I have used Toolbox for Java to create Servlets that did
things like authenticate users, execute CL commands, and turn DB2400
database files into XML or CSV files. These worked fine in Apache Jakarta
Tomcat. I have recently learned how to make PHP classes call Java programs
that use Toolbox classes. This lets me execute CL commands, call
CL/RPG/Cobol programs, and so forth from Web pages.  You could also create a
Java GUI that uses Toolbox classes to access the iSeries.

As already mentioned by others, you can run Java programs natively on the
iSeries.

If you use Toolbox for Java or native Java programs, you might want to
consider using PCML. PCML is an XML-based format for calling programs on the
iSeries. I've heard it can be usefule for people making calls between Java
and CL/RPG/Cobol programs.  Never used it myself.

Oh, and you can invoke methods in Java classes inside RPG programs. You have
to 'prototype' the Java method (i.e., define the Java method inside the RPG
program). Then the RPG program executes the Java method.

Good luck,
Kelly