On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:13:03 -0500, Joe Pluta wrote
> When you lose preferences, get rid of the .config folder inside the
> .metadata folder.  That may also clear up your other problems.

Thanks Joe - and anyone else who responded .... it turns out that in
investigating the missing preferences we discovered a message that indicated
that fix 3 was supposed to cure that problem.  We installed it (it had failed
when we tried it earlier - probably due to Admin issues) and it fixed _both_

Jon Paris