It took me less than an hour to load WDSc v5.1 on my 2.4Ghz Dell (768MB RAM).

I think you went wrong by clicking OK/Next.  When I installed, when it told me
to uninstall the previous version, I exited the WDSc installation program and
did a START -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, then unstalled
the previous version.

After the previous version was uninstalled, I rebooted my machine, then
reinserted the CD to install the new version.  I had no problems, and after 4
CDs, was finished in less than an hour.