Aaron,

I have been using it for the iSeries-toolkit open source project
(www.iseries-toolkit.org).  The CVS server is hosted by Source Forge on
a Linux server. I don't see hosting a CVS server on your iSeries as
necessary but having a client that understood or wrapped source members
in a stream file would be really nice. For the iSeries-toolkit I connect
to my iSeries system and do a save-as both directions. The process isn't
too bad but it could be better. One problem area is the date/line
numbers that I like to trim out of the CVS version. If I have more than
a couple of members to move around, I use a script like this one:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/iseries-toolkit/iseries-toolkit/src/sh/cvstosrcpf.sh?rev=1.1

If I need to do something unusual, I copy that script into qshell and
modify it as needed. If you are on V5R2 or later and don't need to
support anyone further back, you can store RPG source in the IFS, which
can be mapped to a drive. That won't help you with DDS, CL, etc. but it
will make the bulk of your work easier.

David Morris

>>> ALBartell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 7/7/2004 7:57:59 AM >>>
I have been looking into the possibility of using CVS to store RPGLE
code on the iSeries (OS/400 partition not Linux).  I have seen a
couple
threads where CVS and RPG is mentioned but never really delved into
much.

Has anybody out there in the RPG community used CVS for RPG on the
iSeries with WDSc as the CVS client?
I am not talking about storing something on sourceforge.net and
allowing
check-in/out like that but rather the ability to check-in/out directly
from the iSeries you will be compiling the code on.  The only reason I
see this as remotely feasible is the ability to store RPGLE code in
the
IFS (I currently do not store my code in the IFS, so I am not well
versed on its abilities or limitations).

Anybody?

Aaron Bartell