> To be fair, I think the limitation evolved from the fact that Aldon is
using
> the Eclipse builtin SCM functionality.  Unlike Turnover which does its
own
> thing without using the Eclipse SCM functionality.  In other words,
Aldon
> integrates into WDSc using the features designed into Eclipse for SCM
and
> recommend for use by IBM.  Turnover doesn't.

This simply is not true.  The Eclipse SCM functionality only apples to
resources that are stored in the local workspace, so it does not translate
to iSeries and RSE.  That is why, for example, you do not see any options
contributed by CVS Team support in RSE even though the CVS support is
built in.  You do however, see it in RSE for sharing of your filters and
user actions since those are stored in local files that the Eclipse Team
API can be applied to.

You can sort of get this functionality if you want to convert all of your
iSeries source into an iSeries Project and then manage it all as local
resources using any Eclipse SCM provider.  The problem then is that
iSeries Projects was not really designed for this purpose and does not
scale well for it, nor offer the kind of tooling you would need to make
this we really work.  So we took the route of providing custom integration
for RSE and iSeries.  The TurnOver UI was 100% rewritten for Eclipse and
you can basically do everything including a lot that you cannot do in
5250.  Our Java/Web/PC source control offering does utilize the Eclipse
SCM Team API and that is how versioning is performed for those types of
projects.  TurnOver adds additional integration to automate deployment of
those objects, along with the iSeries objects if necessary.

Finally, the Eclipse Team API is simply a small layer that sits between
editors and team repositories.  So an Eclipse editor makes a pledge to
call certain API's before editing/saving/deleting files.  If you have a
Team provider associated with the project, this allows the team provider
to step in and take appropriate action, such as checkout the file.
Everything else that is provided by the Team provider is simply up to
them.  For example, the cool CVS Synchronize view, Resource History,
Annotation views etc..., are all specific to CVS and that provider.  In
Eclipse 3.0, some of that UI has been rewritten so that other Team
Providers can make use of that UI and not have to rewrite it, but it is
not part of the "Team API".

Nothing in the Team API deals with compiling one way or the other.  In
normal Eclipse, the compilers are provided by the Project Builders, this
obviously does not translate to iSeries, so you either need to use the
facilities provided by RSE or some third party.  With TurnOver we provide
a GUI "compile wizard" that handles the task of running the compile
including remembering custom parameters/commands as well as building
related objects, such as rebinding all of your ILE objects.  Also, in the
case of something like a PF/SQL Table recompile, then the members, data,
journalling, constraints triggers etc... are all automatically
re-established just as they would be when performing a promotion.

I have some short movies that demonstrate most of these features.  If any
one wants to see them email me privately and I can email them to you.
Likewise, if you have any additional questions about what our product does
or does not do you can also email me privately.

Thanks

Mark Phippard
Director of Development
SoftLanding Systems