Frank,

For an old SEU PDM programmer at first RSE will seem an overly complicated and slow alternative for PDM. Although it is getting better with each release, at this point it can't even sort members by change date.

As for editing RPG: the LPEX editor does have its advantages over SEU, but because of RSE it takes longer to get a member into the editor. Once you are there, you have colours (which makes a source much more readable), undo (when you are used to that, it is a pain that SEU does not have it) and you are not limited to viewing 24 or 27 lines. Mind you, CODE has the same advantages, but can be started from within PDM and thus is much quicker. But CODE is a dead end street, like SEU.

Now if ever you start coding Java, then WDSC is absolutely great. When you watch the speed at which your code is syntax checked while you're typing it, all excuse for not syntax checking free format RPG become laughable.

Joep Beckeringh

Frank.Kolmann@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks Colin,
Just finished the last of the ptfs.
Just tried it with the help of Iseries news Sep 03,
I can actually use RSE to edit source.

You say there is a lot of functionality in WDSC.
Being new to WDSC I am not aware of what to expect.
May I ask for a brief overview of what an old SEU PDM
programmer like me can expect to gain from WDSC, please.

PS
URLS to IBM education site I have, as well as numerous
very thick manuals that I downloaded.

Thanks
Frank Kolmann