Frank,

I will tell you the stuff that I tend to use.

RPG editing and compilation - CODE400 and LPEX -

lots of extra stuff in those, I prefer CODE400 as I find LPEX is still a bit
buggy! One of the handiest things that I use in CODE is the convert from
fixed to free format. You can select a block of fixed format code, hit the
button, and it converts it to free format. Plus they are customisable so you
can add in extra features.

RSE and Iseries Table View - you say you've used RSE,  try the Iseries table
view too, very easy to use and gives you PDM like facilities, combine the
two together and you'll find its very handy for working with objects, source
members etc.

Interactive debbuggers - once you get used to how to set these up, you'll
find that these are a very good alternative to STRDBG

Java Development Environment - don't know if you've got into java yet, but
WDSC includes everything you need to do java development.

Websphere Application Server - WDSC includes complete test environments for
WAS, so you can test you java stuff on your PC then deply your application
to WAS on your 400, and run it.

Im still learning a lot of this stuff (who isnt!)

I still switch back to green screen for qucik and dirty stuff, but tend to
use WDSC for my main development

Cheers
Colin.W