From: "August Fassler" <august.fassler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 2:32 PM
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Prototypes & /copy

I've only recently begun to play with service programs and procedures,
etc...  I have noticed that many sources of information regarding
prototypes appear to strongly recommend using copy source rather than
copying the prototype directly into your program.  This raises an
interesting issue for me.  We have all but said never, ever use copy
source.  This is due to the fact that you can't scan for its contents
within a program and that you can't see its contents while programming.

I'm not nearly as concerned about scanning source for it as I am that I
can't see what I'm working with when coding.  Is there a way to "expand"
the copy source within the source editor in WDSC?  I noticed that the
definitions DO show up in the outline view, but the only option I appear
to have as far as viewing the actual source is to open the source in its
own window.

If we're talking new feature, what I'd like to see is this....  In a
manner similar to filtering, show a "+" to the left of the /copy
statement.  If I click on the "+", expand it into the current view.  The
expanded source would really need to be protected - perhaps in a
different color.

Also, any advice on how best to manage/view binding directories from
within WDSC would be greatly appreciated...new blood here, when it comes
to this...ahhh, but having fun, nonetheless!

August Fassler
Lead Programmer/Analyst
Sporlan Valve Company