   I have a screen with a selection field (one-byte
character; valid values of blank and 'X') that I want
to replace with a checkbox.
   Okay, first part of the problem solved - I can
control the soon-to-be-invisible selection field with
the checkbox.  (Turns out that cutting and pasting the
IBM sample code for myUtil.js can introduce invalid
characters into the text file and that there is no
good indication that the resultant file is invalid
-unless you know to click on the "preview" tab or add
the init_usr function with an alert in it...
   The second part of the problem remains.  To wit,
causing the "checked" property of the checkbox to be
set by the value of the selection field when the page
is initially displayed.
   Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Don