As Scott pointed out there is now a shortcut to open up a member if you
know exactly which one you want to open.

Positioning.  Within any of the trees or tables in WDSC if you just start
typing letters you will be positioned to the first match.  This is just a
standard in the underlying Windows control.  The only catch is that you
would have to click in the control first to set the focus correctly before
typing.

Filters.  If you have thousands of members in one source file there is not
a lot you can do unless you can use naming standards to make a series of
sub filters.

Finally, I do not think there is anything wrong with using 5250 for tasks
that you feel more comfortable doing there.  Obviously, it would be nice
if you/we can think of ways that WDSC could be improved to do specific
tasks better, but I imagine in many cases 5250 will just be easier for
doing certain things.  One thing I would like would be to be able to
see/do more with jobs in the iSeries Jobs filter.  For example, it would
be nice if you could see the call stack of a job.  If that was done, then
we could probably add a plugin that let you browse the source for
something in the call stack (or IBM could).  As an example, our spooled
file plugin adds a menu option to jobs that let you see the spooled files
for a job.  These troubleshooting-type things are still a large area where
I think a lot of us need to go to 5250.

Mark

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/20/2004 11:03:38 AM:

> A little of both.
>
> Browsing:
>
> We often develop new programs by finding previously developed programs,
> copying and renaming them, then reengineering them. I sometimes want to
look
> at several different programs to see which would be best suited for
> reengineering. Sometimes a program fails and I have to look at code in
> several programs in a call stack (10 or more programs). So I need to
briefly
> skim through multiple programs efficiently.
>
> I've created filters for our source physical files, but we have so many
> source members that the filters just take a *long* time to resolve. I
> usually get big delays and server not responding errors whenever WDSCi
has
> to resolve them. When the list of members appears, I have to manually
scroll
> and search the list rather than specifying a member name to position to.
> Then I may have another delay while WDSCi opens the member in LPEX. The
> green screen SEU lets me use a combination of entering member names and
> paging up/down, and it quickly opens members for browsing. I can also
have
> two green screen sessions up to alternate searching through two source
> physical files (e.g., to browse the COBOL and CL programs of a call
stack).
> The bottom line is I can open a green screen, search through one or more
> source physical files for members, and open the members to browse them
more
> quickly than I can browse the same programs in WDSCi. But I'm not
blaming
> WDSCi at this point. It may be I need to change the way I'm using WDSCi.

> Manipulating objects:
>
> I often have to create new objects by copying and renaming old ones. If
it's
> just one or two objects, I don't mind using WDSCi iSeries Commands. I
have
> some custom commands set up for these purposes. But if I have to create
4-5
> program objects, 5-10 copybooks, and a few 5250 or DB2 DDS files for a
> project, I'm back in the green screens to get things set up.  Again, it
may
> be I need to change the way I do things (e.g., not rely on iSeries
Commands)
> in WDSCi.
>
> Thanks,
> Kelly
>

> There are also times when a program fails and I have to trace call
stacks or
> look through the programs in a call stack to see where a problem
originated.
> We often have relatively deep call stacks--sometimes 10 or more
programs.
> Again, it's just quicker for me to browse through a bunch of programs
> quickly using green screens.

However,