Thanks for the responses!

I'm all in favor of new features and enhancements.  The name change stuff,
though, makes it very difficult.  Name changes require high-level approval.
Release upgrades require low-level approval.  Thankfully the cost is
included with the iSeries otherwise I would still be using WDTS (who am I
kidding - I'd still be using seu!)

Phil

                      Phil Coulthard

                      <coulthar@xxxxxxx        To:       WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      com>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Fw: [WDSCI-L] what's
next?
                      wdsci-l-bounces@m

                      idrange.com

                      01/15/2004 10:17

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      Websphere

                      Development

                      Studio Client for

                      iSeries

Mark, a good summary!
Yes, this is all a good thing, not a bad thing. We simply moved all the
people working on WSSD and
WSAD into Rational (but not WDSC or other tools tied to a single runtime or
middleware), and so you
will see two things, eventually:
  - more and more function as the Rational tools are fully integrated into
the WS tools, on top of eclipse,
     and which we subsequently inherit for iSeries. Think of it as the
number of people working on this stuff
     has all just increased considerably!
  - new names, as Rational becomes IBM's brand for anything tool or AD
related. Its been a few releases
       anyway, we were due for a name change :-)

Phil Coulthard, STSM, iSeries AD,  IBM Canada Ltd. coulthar@xxxxxxxxxxx
905-413-4076, t/l 969-4076

----- Forwarded by Phil Coulthard/Toronto/IBM on 01/15/2004 10:11 AM -----

             "Mark Phippard"
             <MarkP@softlandin
             g.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Websphere Development Studio Client
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/15/2004 10:02          Re: [WDSCI-L] what's next?
             AM

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

One of the things specifically mentioned on the announcement is that this
all going to be based on Eclipse.  So I think that this will be re-branding
as much as anything.  SDP is likely a new name for WSWB (WebSphere Studio
Workbench) which is what the current tools are built on.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw "Lite" versions of some of the
Rational tools make their way into WSAD the way that their ClearCase
product already does.  For example, there might be a simple UML modeling
tool added that can interoperate with the full-blown Rational Rose toolset,
also they have their testing and requirements management tools.

I imagine a lot of this was also about consolidation of effort.  For
example, WSAD 5.1 included a basic UML class diagrammer.  Given that this
is what Rational Rose provides you have a situation where the tool provided
with WSAD somewhat undercuts the ability to sell Rose, also that tool does
not allow you to "grow" to the full Rose tool and finally it means there
were two teams of employees at IBM being paid to write the exact same tool.

In my opinion, the only impact that this will have on WDSC is that WDSC is
built on top of WSAD/WSSD so whatever enhancements come to those tools
should be brought forward into WDSC.  I doubt that the iSeries-specific
tooling that WDSC provides will be altered by this.

Of course this is all just speculation, we shall see.

      To    wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
      cc
      bcc
      Subject     [WDSCI-L] what's next?
phillip.groschwitz@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/15/2004 08:34 AM
<HR><font size=-1>Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx></font><HR>         <font size=-1></font>

I just read this at
http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@.6ae8bff9 :

<quote>
[IBM will in 2004] Put Rational Software in complete charge of tool
strategy. When IBM unveiled the SDP last month, it also turned over
responsibility for the WebSphere Studio tool family to Rational Software.
As part of the move, IBM transferred 400 internal staff members from the
WebSphere Studio group to the Rational division. As a consequence, Rational
Software is now in full control of IBM's development tools and the SDP
strategy.
</quote>

What does this mean for WDSC, and us users?  Rebranding _AGAIN_?

Phil