There are 4 "cycles" of updates in total.

1)  WSSD/WSAD 5.1.0.1
2)  Interim Fix 001
3)  Interim Fix 003
4)  WDSC 5.1.0.1

Each cycle involves going through that long process of checking for
updates, then selecting to install the update, at which point the download
happens, followed by a restart of WDSC.  You then have to repeat the
process.

Numbers 1 and 4 above are both pretty significant in their download size
and it does not happen until you actually select the download.  I am not
sure why the checking for New Updates takes so long, but I think the
reason might be that what it does is download a file named site.xml from
the update site.  It then has to read that XML file which lists a number
of "features" that are available for update.  I suspect it then downloads
the features so that it can inspect them and see if you need them.  In
general, the features are not too big - 500K?, but there might be a lot of
them.  When you actually install, it then downloads the plugins for those
features which is where most of the size is.

Mark