From: "Chevalier, Rick" <Rick.Chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 3:13 PM
Subject: RE: [WDSCI-L] SI08018 - Wat is it?

> Vern,
>
> I'll second the clear statement from IBM.  I was working with them on a
debug issue and when we got to not having this PTF they dropped the issue.
I've been waiting for operations to install it for over a month now so I can
see if it helps or not.  It would sure be nice to look at the cover letter
or some other description and definitively determine if this PTF is related
to legacy debug or not.

> Rick Chevalier
> AmeriCredit AITS
>
> (817) 525-7178
> rick.chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
> Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 4:19 PM
> To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
> Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] SI08018  -  Wat is it?
>
> Dennis
>
> The cover letter is viewable online at

<http://www-912.ibm.com/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/99208da8b86e3afa86256c23005c6db3/3b
e8e3618298ce2586256d5f00529b1d?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,SI08018>.
> You can get there from the iSeries Support page
> <www.iseries.ibm.com/support> and going to the PTF cover letter page - go
> either to the "Fixes" link or to the "Technical databases" link in the
menu
> on the left, then look for the "PTF cover letters" link and search from
there.

> The website for Agent Controller, referenced in the cover letter, is

<http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=715&context=SSZND2&q=&uid=swg27
003850>

> Here is an excerpt from that page:
>
> >The IBM Agent Controller (formerly called the Remote Agent Controller, or
> >RAC) is used by the WebSphere Studio tools to interact with (supported)
> >remote servers for such purposes as application publishing and testing,
> >and debugging and profiling Java/WAS applications on remote servers.
> >
> >Caveat: Please note, it is currently not intended for remote deployment
> >use on production systems, since republishing applications involves
> >shutting down WAS servers, and it doesn't have bulletproof security on
> >some systems. This is intended for development systems only.
>
> This suggests to me that, if you are not using WAS or Java, you do not
need
> it. Another list member recently said there's some stuff in the cover
> letter about changing debug settings. I see that but still think it only
> applies to WAS/J2EE/maybe JSP stuff and is not needed for legacy stuff.
I'm