Greetings;

I have need to develop disconnected from my iSeries, and so I right click on a list of physical files and tell it to "Cache File Descriptions". After a while of downloading _something_ from the iSeries, I disconnect from the iSeries, put my laptop in sleep mode and go away. Later I'm programming (in Code because I can't get the Lpex editor to do everything I need with my COBOL source / or I don't have time to learn the new editor - I REALLY need to get to V5.1!!) and I want to view the fields in one of the cached files. It fails to show me the list in a table because it did not connect with the iSeries.

Questions:

Why did it not use the cached version I had it download?
Can I make it show the cached information instead of trying to go to the iSeries?
Can I have it connect if there is a network connection, and if not use the cache?
Can I have CODE designer look at the cached file descriptions when creating display files, and wanting to reference a physical file when off line?
Can I edit what information shows in the "Table" of field information to include the alias (used all the time for COBOL field names!)?
Can I drag and drop the field names or alias names from a table view to an editor?
What _can_ I do with the cached file descriptions?
Are any of these issues addressed in V5.1 that I need to order from my BP?

I appreciate any help that you experts can give me. Any and all advice is desired/needed/ignored (as appropriate!)

Thanks!

Jim Essinger
Senior Programmer/Analyst
UnLtd / SLFI / IMA