> From: Mark Phippard
>
> So what do you think are your mutual goals here?  I logged into
> midrange.com and read the archives.  It seems like if Aaron does not have
> time to learn WDSC, then he is not going to have the time to write a test
> application and then a document that explains it all?

No, I think the idea is that Aaron does something in .NET and I (or someone
else) does the same thing in WDSC.  Then we compare the results.  Is it
going to be scientific?  Heck no.  But it should be interesting and
educational.

> I do not mean to rain on the parade, I am just curious.  I am also still
> not sure if you are trying to compare the resulting applications or the
> tools that create them.

We're comparing everything!  I think, if we're both honest about it (and
interestingly enough, I think our mutual arrogance works in favor of that -
neither one of us wants to get caught in a fib <grin>), that what you're
going to see is a good developer's diary of how to do something.

For example, Aaron suggested creating a web service.  I'm pretty sure Studio
is all about web services, so he's going to show us how easy it is to do
just that.  I, on the other hand, am clueless and will have to find more
information, so it might take me a little while.  Or someone else here who
has done a web service can pipe up and tell us how to do it.

Next, we'll do the web page I suggested.  What ought to be neat about that
particular exercise is the debugging and deployment.  I'm going to be
interested to see how well both do in those areas.  First guess?  WDSC wins
debugging, VS.NET wins deployment.  And in any event, whatever VS.NET does
better becomes an opportunity for the WDSC team.

> Personally, I am with you.  JSP Model II all the way.  I personally use
> Struts which helps a lot with developing a good MVC architecture, but of
> course it is another thing to learn!  It ultimately is pretty easy to do
> though as all it is, is basic JSP/Servlets "done right".  One
> thing I would
> like to learn is the Struts tools in WDSC.  I have tried to use them but
> they do not support Struts 1.1 very well.  It is hard to see if
> they really
> provide much value.

Yeah, this is a sticking point with me.  Struts is basically an add-on, at
least for WebFacing, and so that's nasty.  Also, Struts is a moving target,
especially with Java Faces coming along.

Anyway, I'm looking for information, is all.  Aaron is going to be a good
source of .NET info, and we'll provide the WDSC side.  And in fact, I also
plan on providing .NET info as well, since I'll be trying some of this stuff
at least with ASP.NET Web Matrix.

Joe