Joe,

In your P.S. I read that you are having problems with JAR and ZIP
files.
Since I have used symbolic links quite a bit in the past and haven't
run
into these problems, I thought I would check it out. You are right that

there appears to be some issues but it appears that a hard link did
work
in my tests. I also found that a symbolic link to a directory always
works
(which is what I must have always done or something broke). I did
find an example in IBM's 4.5 manual saying you should create symbolic
links to the JDK jars you add to the ext directory, implying that it
worked
at one point or that the ext directory/JDK jars are somehow different.

David

...Joe

P.S. I have identified one major problem with symbolic links.  Neither
ZIP
nor JAR can handle them.  If you have a symbolic link, rather than
just
include the link in the ZIP file, it attempts to include what the link
was
pointing to.  In my case, since I have a recursive link, the utilities
fail
miserably.