> From: Buck
>
> My guess is that
> vendors will fill in the gap that the J2EE folks left in the process.

My problem with this statement, Buck, is twofold:

First, the fact that "vendors" will fill in the gap will mean that they will
expect to be paid to do so.  Not only that, there will be different
deployment models for different application servers, and that's a sure
harbinger of pain and suffering for application developers and end users.

Second, the J2EE "model", which is little more than a recommendation and one
possible way to do things, is being taken as the minimum "standard" to be
addressed by web application server vendors, or at least by the WebSphere
team.  This J2EE "not-quite-a-standard" is simply a cobbled together
documentation of what the Unix guys are doing today, not any sort of well
thought out plan based on any business requirements.

And so, the web application server developers are creating this deployment
model basically without any business requirements.  The car is hurtling down
the road and nobody is driving.  Somebody needs to stand up, look the J2EE
developers right in the eye, and say, "You are not meeting the needs of the
business community."

Because otherwise, you're going to have to use a third party product just to
develop you applications, and heaven help you if you need to support a
platform that vendor doesn't support.

Joe