Scott,

I will look at updating the article for V5.0 and am also looking at
creating a presentation on the database tools which we can post to the
website.  I haven't played with the Quantum plug-in yet so I can't offer
any comparison between it and the Database tooling in WDSc.  However I can
provide some points on the functions in the Database tooling.  First to
get started ...

- yes, the data perspective is the central user interface for the Database
tooling
- yes, you need to create a Database connection to get started.  You do
this by right clicking in the DB Servers view and selecting New
Connection...
- yes, the correct path for the class location is
C:\WDSC\iseries\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.etools.iseries.toolbox_5.0.0\runtime\jt400.jar
- Make sure you specify a filter!!!  Schemas map to libraries on the
iSeries so if you want to include a list of libraries just add them to the
filter (make sure you change the operator to OR instead of AND.)  If you
see nothing come back from creating the connection or the Workbench seems
to hang it is likely because the filter is wrong.  By default the tool
downloads metadata for the entire database which on the iSeries is quite
big (hence why it looks like it hangs, come back in an hour or two and it
will probably be finished.)

Now that you have your connection, right click on the connection and
select "Import To Folder".  This imports the database metadata into a
local workspace project so you can continue to use it without being
connected to the database.  Obviously one part of the database tooling is
to look at the data, but this is really only a small part of the tooling.
By importing the database metadata into the workspace it can be used by
other tools like:

- The graphical SQL editor to allow you write and test SQL statements
(edit SQL graphically or manually)
- Use the database tooling to define new tables in the database
- Database Web pages wizard (uses the database information to create web
pages to list, update, delete information from a database)
- EJB tooling (advanced edition of WDSc)
- XML tooling (generate an XML schema from a database definition, read
records from a database into an XML document or write information from an
XML doc to the database)
- ...

So in conclusion : )   The ability to look at the records in the database
or to create an SQL statement is only a small part of the database tools.
A much larger part is that other tools integrated into the Workbench use
the information from the database tools to do other things.  It's all
about integration : )

If anyone is still having problems getting connected and creating an SQL
statement please post them.

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

"Scott Johnson" <sjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
29/05/2003 12:24 PM
Please respond to Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries