Phil,

This is the article that my boss(Rod Smith) copied to me from an article off
of the web.  I'm not sure exactly where it came from but here it is:

NEW WDSc FUNCTION OUTPERFORMS PDM AND SEU, IBM SAYS

According to an iSeries Network Web poll, the great majority of RPG, Cobol,
and CL developers (64 percent) still use SEU alone for editing their
programs, despite IBM's push for WebSphere Studio and the plethora of tools
available from third-party vendors. Just about a quarter of developers use
WebSphere Studio or CODE/400, either alone or in combination with SEU.

But according to IBM and the tools developers who've developed plug-ins to
Big Blue's Eclipse-based WebSphere Development Studio client (WDSc), PDM and
SEU no longer provide the best access to OS/400.

WDSc's Remote Systems Explorer (RSE), which gives developers access to
libraries on the iSeries, "is something everyone should have on their
desktop," says Marty Acks, MKS's iSeries product manager. "It's a great
development experience for the person who's historically used SEU and PDM.
Although there's a certain comfort level associated with green-screen
development, you can really do native development faster [with RSE] than
with SEU."

With WDSc Version 5, which became available April 25, Toronto's tools team
made numerous tweaks to boost RSE's performance and utility. Green-screen
traditionalists may especially appreciate a new PDM-like table view and the
inclusion of many more CODE-like functions in the built-in editor, such as
RPG, COBOL, CL, and DDS syntax checking; RPG, COBOL, and DDS program
verification; outline views of RPG source; language-sensitive F1 help;
support for persistent markers for quickly accessing specific locations
within source members; and user-defined actions that support all PDM
substitution variables.

Graphical wizards aid in the creation of libraries, source files and
members, data areas, data queues, and message files. The running and
debugging of iSeries programs now tightly integrates with RSE and the
built-in editor, and extensive other enhancements make it easier to work
with all aspects of development.

Because RSE is written in Java, not only can RPG and Cobol apps use it for
access to the iSeries, but so can Java and Web-services-based applications,
says Dave Slater, worldwide market manager for iSeries application
development. And because it was written in Java, it can also be used to
access libraries on the pSeries, xSeries, zSeries, Solaris, and Linux. "All
you have to do is make sure you have some agents running on those
platforms," Slater says.

"That's the magic of Eclipse," he says. "If you write it once and architect
everything correctly, everyone who plugs in gets to [use] it. ... RSE was
built for RPG and Cobol programs, but everyone else gets to benefit, too."

All the base work already built into RSE will soon be part of an upcoming
refresh of WebSphere Studio Workbench, which will be available across
platforms.

- Cheryl Ross, Senior News Editor, iSeries Network

Are you saying don't believe everything you read? :)
--
PAUL PENDLETON
"Phil Coulthard" <coulthar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
om...
> Paul, where was this article you read? George Farr and I have an article
in
> iSeries
> mag in May, but if I recall we said WDSC has all of SEU's function. I
don't
> recall
> us writing it is faster. Specifically, we said "is now competitive with,
or
> exceeds
> SEU and PDM in terms of function". But maybe its another article you are
> referring to.
>
> Because we have to download data over a network, and convert from EBCDIC
> Unicode, the first edit will never be faster in WDSC than it is in SEU,
> which merely
> has to read it out of the database member and directly into a user space.
> However,
> by caching the member locally we are able to get close to SEU's
performance
> on
> subsequent opens if it hasn't been changed by someone else in the
meantime.
> This is similar to adding it to a project, such that you are editing a
> local copy. In this
> case is only our parser that is overhead beyond what SEU has, which
doesn't
> color.
>
> That being said, we are always experimenting to find different methods for
> doing
> the initial read and pulldown. We've tried jdbc and direct record access
> via the
> toolbox, and a couple other options. We will continue to look the best.
For

coulthar@xxxxxxxxxxx