From: Paul Pendleton [mailto:pnpendleto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 7:47 AM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WDSCI-L] New Tools Slow(Real Slow)

I have been using code for sometime now and it has been great.  When I heard
that the new WDSC tools were incorporating syntax checking into the lpex
editor I was excited.  It was also touted to be very good competition for
SEU concerning speed.

This is definitely a marketing ploy.  The initial startup does not bother me
that it is slow.  After it comes up though is a different story.

The loading of source takes way to long.  It should be instant.
While editing the screen sometimes stalls for a bit.
It does not even keep up with my keystrokes.

I like all of the features in the tools.  I have used 4.0 for a while now
too.  I especially like the java side of it.  I am not an expert java person
but have done a few little things, and the tools for java in WDSC are great.
I still code in RPG so I need that side of it to work as if I were on the
AS400, UH excuse me iSeries!!

Are there any settings that can be changed to help with the speed.  I have a
900mhz system with 512mb of ram.  Plenty of disk space.  We have the new
version 5.0 installed and the patch as well 5.0.1.  Our AS400(iSeries) have
all the current PTF's and we are on V5R2.

I really want to use the new tools.  For now the new tools can not even come
close to SEU much less CODE/400.  The other thing that is really easy in
code was the ability to write your own lpexlets and do other things to
modify things to suit your specific needs.  I know the new tools will do
this but it is a whole lot more complicated.  I have to learn a new way of
doing things again.  I only have so much time to learn new things.  The rest
of the time I have to do real work.

Any suggestions on performance with the new tools would be greatly
appreciated.

--
PAUL PENDLETON