   The saga continues:

   Uninstalled everything that I cound find that related to WDSC.

   Started a new install.  Generally went smoothly, but:

   1)  After disk 2 it asked for disk 1 again, then asked for disk 3. I did
   what I was told and it continued.
   2)  At various times when waiting for a disk an annoying Windows dialog
   pops up, just to confuse things.  I ignored them.

   Install completed!

   Now I have it running and I'm trying to comply with this bit of the readme
   file to upgrade to 5.0.1:

   * Important: After you install the product, you need to use Update Manager
     to update WebSphere Studio Site Developer (your base WebSphere Studio
     product) to Version 5.0.1:
     1. Open Development Studio Client from the Start menu.
     2. From the menu bar in the workbench, click Help > Software Updates >
         Update Manager.
     3. Click Feature Updates.
     4. Expand Query Settings and select any plug-in that contains the
         string: wssd. For example, "com.ibm.wssd.prod_5.0.1".
     5. Click Search Now.
     6. To update your system, double-click any features retrieved in the
         Feature Search Results view.

     Point 4 causes eye strain (but I struggled through...)

     Point 5 just sits and looks at me, saying it is trying to access a web
     site.  Finally it dies with an error dialog "Network connection problems
     encountered during search."  There is a detail window, but I can't copy
     the text, hence I can't paste.

     From what I remember, I've never been able to have anything from IBM
     connect outside our intranet.

     So, is there another way to get 5.0.1?  And how important is it?

     Sam