Don,
   Thanks for the reply, but is there another way to start RSE other
than with a fresh install? I've had WDSC installed for 3 or 4 months and
after taking a week or more to get it installed and working i don't want
to un-install it just to see if i can get RSE to work. I'm running
win98se and have just installed SP3 to WDSC. I have looked at the help
and cannot fine the options that it tells you to use.  Thanks Bill

wdsci-l-admin@midrange.com wrote:

Bill,

The Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) is a "perspective" in the WDSc workbench.
A perspective is simply a way of telling the workbench which type of
development you would like to do (i.e.  Java, XML, Web, ...).  The RSE
perspective is used for remote development of RPG and COBOL on your
iSeries.  After a fresh install of WDSc when you start the workbench you
are automatically opened in the RSE perspective so selecting Perspectives >
Open > Other > Remote Systems Explorer will just open another RSE
perspective.

A couple tips:

1.  You can tell which perspective you are in by looking at the title bar
of the workbench.

2.  As you open more perspectives they appear as icons in the left hand bar
of the workbench.  Click on any of the icons to switch to the other open
perspectives.

So, now that you have the RSE perspective open you need to create a
connection to your iSeries.  You do this by expanding the New Connection
entry  in the Systems View (left hand side of the workbench.)  You will
likely be prompted for a "profile name", this is for team support so you
can just except the default or enter a user name for yourself.  Next you
need to define your hostname, connection name (this is what will appear in
the Remote Systems tree view), user id...

Click Finish, now you have your first iSeries connection.  Expand the
connection and explore away ....

Hope this helps.  Of course if I have completely missed your question just
let me know!

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@ca.ibm.com

                     Bill Layman
                     <blayman@tsomervi        To:       "WDSCI-L@midrange.com" <WDSCI-L@midrange.com>
                     lle.com>                 cc:
                     Sent by:                 Subject:  [WDSCI-L] Remote Systems Explorer
                     wdsci-l-admin@mid
                     range.com

                     11/18/2002 02:59
                     PM
                     Please respond to
                     wdsci-l

How do you start RSC? When i go to Perspectives > Open > Other > Remote
Systems Explorer. This option doesn't show up, is there some thing else
i have to do for this option to show?

   Thanks for any help  Bill

--
Bill Layman