Chris / John,

First an little background then some questions.

I am assuming that you want to use WDSc from home (or remotely) to develop
applications (Web, RPG, COBOL, Java, ...) in addition to using it at the
office.  For the remote scenario there are currently two different ways
that I know of to do this:

1.  Install WDSc on the remote PC and connect to your office network using
VPN or some other secure means of communication (or dial up!)

2.  Install WDSc on a Windows server running Windows terminal services or
some 3rd party equivalent and from your remote PC run a Windows emulation
from the server.  This however would also require a VPN.  The Eclipse
workbench based tools should run fine in this environment, but CODE tools
do not run in a multi-user Windows environment.

Now my questions : )

I am not familiar with the SunONE portal you described below.  Does your
remote development fall into either of these scenario's above?

It seems like you are trying to run WDSc from a Web Application Server and
have clients access the tools via a Web browser?  Perhaps like Lotus Notes
for the Web or iSeries Access for the Web?

Currently WDSc needs to be installed on the PC where is running and does
not support the browser as an interface for remote development.  This is a
development time statement, not to be confused with using WDSc to develop
Web applications that can be accessed via a web browser at runtime.

Please provide more information about the scenario you are trying to use.
We are very interested in trying to make WDSc work in all of the different
network / remote scenarios.

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@ca.ibm.com

                      Chris Proctor
                      <cproctor@gartspo        To:
"'wdsci-l@midrange.com'" <wdsci-l@midrange.com>
                      rts.com>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: RE: [WDSCI-L] (no
subject)
                      wdsci-l-admin@mid
                      range.com

                      10/31/2002 12:43
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      wdsci-l

Paul,

I work with John and we desperately want to be able to use WDSCI from home.
Here's some answers to your questions that I got from our network guys.
IBM,
could you help us with this????

Thanks!

Chris

Could you first clarify (technically) what you exactly mean by portal ?
SunONE Portal 6.0 with Secure Remote Access Pack
Basically we plan on using this portal remotely for accessing the AS/400.
It
is capable of running any application that is "web enabled" or an
application that can be redirected to a local port.

Obviously it is not a portal website like 'Yahoo' ?
It can be. That is what Yahoo is using or their Web Site.

Or do you mean it's a VPN ?
We will utilize the capabilities to achieve similar results as a VPN. For