Craig,

Yes this directory and file(s) are created by WDSc.  We use this directory
for storing communication log files, persisting some server side settings
related to the Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) and as a temporary working
area for some of the RSE functions.

Why the naming?

In the past our tools used *CURLIB for storing this type of information,
but we have had numerous customer requests to remove this dependency in our
newer tools.  So now our workbench tools use the IFS for storing user
information settings, etc...

The name follows the Unix convention of storing product specific
information in the users home directory in a subdirectory .productName  In
Unix the '.' means the file is "hidden" and doesn't show up in default
lists (as you found out) so as not to clutter the view.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@ca.ibm.com

                      craigs@dekko.com
                      Sent by:                 To:       wdsci-l@midrange.com
                      wdsci-l-admin@mid        cc:
                      range.com                Subject:  [WDSCI-L] Eclipse
directory was created in IFS

                      10/18/2002 01:32
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      wdsci-l

I discovered that awhile ago, an Eclipse directory was created in my home
directory in the IFS.  The file it created was
/home/CRAIGS00/.eclipse/RSE/SBM00001.log.  This file is empty as well as
another file SBM00002.log created a couple days later.  I assume these are
supposed to be logs of errors from WDSC.  I think the WSSDa created these
files and directories because I didn't.  How and why are these files
created?
The home directory on my user profile is set as /home/CRAIGS00.  When WDSC
creates this directory for its logs, my WRKLNK command defaults to
/home/CRAIGS00.  If CRAIGS00 were not in /home, WRKLNK would default to /
(root) instead.  Note: if you cannot see any directories with periods (ex:
. and ..) on the WRKLNK, prompt WRKLNK and change to DETAIL(*EXTENDED) and
DSPOPT(*ALL).

I think these directories are created by WSSDa instead of CODE/400 because
someone else uses CODE/400 not through WSSDa much and they do not have
those directories.  I think the create date on these directories matches
when I was experimenting with WSSDa.  I am planning on getting in the habit
of doing "WRKLNK '/*'" instead of WRKLNK but if anyone has ideas about the
purpose of these files in this directory, please let me know.  I would like
to know how and when I am creating these files.

Thanks,
Craig Strong