From: coulthar@ca.ibm.com [mailto:coulthar@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 9:50 PM
To: CODE400-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries, V4.0

Sam, Phil ... some responses to your queries about WebSphere Development
Studio Client,
and some additional information I'm sure you meant to ask :-)

#1. This is the next release of WDT, and as usual we don't know how to ship
it to you automatically,   so you will need to order it via 5722-WDS,
refresh
code 2655. You need V5R1 or higher to order it, but it will run against V4R5
systems.
  For those who bought WDT as a workstation product, and have passport
advantage, apparently it will be shipped to you automatically. If not, there
is
an upgrade fee, as the price of the workstation product (versus getting it
with WDS) has gone up (way up).

 #2. It is built on top of WSSDa (WebSphere Studio Site Developer Advanced).
You do not have to pay extra for this! It is a built-in part of WDSC. To buy
it
separately would cost $2000 per programmer. You are welcome!

 #3. Yes, it fully supports XP for both home and office. I believe WinME
support is gone, while Win98/NT is support is still there but not for long.
Like
Microsoft, we are quickly moving to a point where only Win2K and WinXP will
be supported...

 #4. Look at WDSc as a number of "plugins" to the IDE supplied by WSSDa.
Indeed, WSSDa is itself a number of plugin on top of eclipse. So, eclipse
supplies the core IDE and team-enablement, as well as the Java tooling (and
the
infrastructure for snapping in plugins).
        WSSDa adds to this:
             - Web tools, including a WAS 4.0 test environment built-in
             - XML tools
             - Web Services tools
             - Java application profiling/performance tools
             - Database tools
       WDSc add to this:
             - RPG and COBOL tools
                    - a pdm/cpo-like remote system explorer and built-in
Lpex  editor
                    - iSeries projects for more disciplined team-sharable
development
             - Java tools for iSeries
                    - remote import/export/compile/run/debug, program call
wizard, toolbox, beans, etc
             - the program call wizard generates beans consumable by the web
services wizard. Eg: quick way to expose an ILE procedure as a web service)
             - Web tools for iSeries
             - web interaction wizard, design-time-controls (web widgets)
             - WebFacing, now tightly integrated into this and able to
exploit the built-in Java and Web tools as well as the built-in WAS test
environment.

   #5. Eclipse and hence WSSDa and WDSc is totally extendible via plugins
written in Java.
          Watch for many additional tools coming from business partners.
The tools for writing plugins are all part of eclipse, so you can write your
own too!

    #6. CODE/400 and VARPG are still available "on the side". Eventually,
these will disappear as their functionality gets totally consumed by eclipse
plugins. But, alas, that will take a few releases. In the meantime, they are
easily launched from within the WDSc IDE.

    #7. There are not too many enhancements in the "classic" CODE/400 or
VARPG products, but there are some tweaks to be sure. Mostly fixes requested
right here on this forum. Maybe we can get Hak and Michelle to list those
enhancements. However, our focus now is the new RPG and COBOL tooling inside
the IDE, and evolving that to catch up and then surpass the current CODE
product's functionality. We are not there yet, but we are intensely focused
on it.

Watch the www.ibm.com/software/ad/wds400 website over the coming weeks for
more and more information ... eg, we are just about to put up a bunch of
presentations. By June 28th, we hope to have a number of hands-on labs and
camtasia videos available too.

Also, the July issue of the IBM iSeries magazine (or eServer I guess its
called now) will have 3 articles on WDSc. And if you go to any conferences,
like the upcoming iSeries Technical Conference in Las Vegas, we'll be doing
numerous presentations and offering numerous hands-on labs to test drive
various pieces of this exciting new product.

Oh, and please assume that once you get it, you'll have to get the first
service pack that will be available coincident with GA ... business as usual
:-)

Phil Coulthard, iSeries Software Architect,  IBM Canada Ltd.
coulthar@ca.ibm.com.