Don,

1)  You cannot browse a source member in read-only mode from the Remote
Systems Explorer (RSE).  However you can do this from the CODE Editor using
the File -> Open for browse... menu option.  We will add this function to
our list of requirements.

2)  Please see my previous reply.

3)  When you use filters in the remote systems perspective all source
members are still on the remote iSeries.  The filters just give you a way
to view a subsetted list of objects from the iSeries just like PDM does.
When you edit a source member using either LPEX or the CODE Editor the file
is modified on the remote iSeries not locally.

The project perspective provides an alternative approach to developing
iSeries applications.  Here the source members are local and are "pushed"
to the iSeries (to the library associated with the iSeries project) when
you select either the "Push Selected" or "Push Changes" popup menu options
for the project.

Hope this helps.

Don Yantzi
IBM Toronto Lab

                      Don Brubaker
                      <DBrubaker@gatepe        To:       wdsci-l@midrange.com
                      tro.com>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [WDSCI-L] Questions
about "Remote Systems" perspective
                      wdsci-l-admin@mid
                      range.com

                      08/27/2002 11:35
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      wdsci-l

Good Day All,

1) How do I browse a source member (read only) with LPEX or Code editor?

2) When I open a member with Code, the system name starts with a
"<R0RO...>"; this is not my system name. What is it?
Am I looking at a file on my PC or the 400? When is the iSeries member
updated?

4) When I am using filters, in the "Remote Systems" perspective, are there
source member files on my PC? Do you only get local (on the PC) files of
source members when the "Project" perspective is used?

Thanks, Don.