From: system21-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:system21-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Lee Greenwood
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:50 AM
To: System 21 Users
Subject: Re: [SYSTEM21] RPC mechanism to call AS400 programs from a 64-bit
Windows client

Hi Dan,

While we've never used the JBA supplied chpm1cad.dll, I have written
programs in VB6 that use the Client Access Object Library to call AS400
programs and update data in files. As you're talking about
reverse-engineering the function I'm assuming that you or someone in your
organisation could transpose this VB code into C or whatever PC side
language you use.

First, you need to add the Client Access Object Library dll to your project
references. The dll is usually installed as part of the Client Access
installation and should be in C:\Program Files\IBM\Client
Access\Toolkit\Typelib and is called cwbautsv.tlb

Once you have declared that, you need to add a few parameters to the
declarations area on the VB6 project

Dim dbConn As New cwbDatabaseConnection
Dim mySQL As New cwbDatabaseSQL
Dim myDB2 As New cwbDatabaseDB2
Dim myFmt As New cwbDatabaseDataFormat
Dim errObj As New cwbErrorMessage
Dim mySys As New cwbRemoteCallConversation
Dim myCmd As New cwbCommand

To be frank, I had to guess my way round how these things are supposed to
function, so I've got no real technical explanation about what they actually
do.

If I have a file on the system for example QGPL/USERS which has 3 fields
USERID, DESC, USRCLS to add or update records, I would use the code below

(this code would be at the start of a sub routine)

errObj.cwbsvSetup 'this lets you capture errors
dbConn.cwbdbSetup "SYSNAM", errObj 'SYSNAM is the name of the system
used when setting up the client access profile
dbConn.convert65535 = True
dbConn.cwbdbStartServer errObj
myDB2.cwbdbSetup dbConn, errObj
myDB2.cwbdbOverrideFile "QGPL", "USERS", "USERS", "MYFILE", errObj
'the first 2 parms are the library and filename, the 3rd is the file member
name, the 4th is the name you want to use in the update/add
mySQL.cwbdbSetup dbConn, myFmt, errObj

(this code would add records to the file, you need to include values for all
the fields in the file)
mySQL.cwbdbExecuteImmediate "SQL1", "INSERT Into MYFILE
Values('LEE', 'Lee Greenwood','Secofr')

(this code would update a record)
mySQL.cwbdbExecuteImmediate "SQL1", "UPDATE MYFILE Set USRCLS='USER'
where USERID='LEE'"

To call a program you only need 2 lines to make the connection
errObj.cwbsvSetup
mySys.cwbrcStartConversation "SYSNAM", "SOMERANDOMTEXT" 'Again parm 1 is the
AS400 name defined when you setup Client Access on the PC, the 2nd parm
seems a bit pointless

Then this line to run the command
myCmd.cwbrcRunCmd mySys, "CLRPFM FILE(QGPL/USERS)", errObj

To call a program with parameters
myCmd.cwbrcRunCmd mySys, "CALL LIB/PGM PARM('x' 'y')", errObj

Hope this helps

Lee.