From: "Randy Rasp" <rrasp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:09 PM
To: <system21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SYSTEM21] Sales Order Sourcing

Hello list,

When we have a customer place an order, we prefer to service them from the
closest warehouse - one of the reasons being so we have the proper
warehouse to get credit for the sale.

Occasionally we may be out of a part, but a warehouse not too far away
(~200 miles) may have the part.

In the past, we have been having our clerks save the order as a back
order, and then go into inventory processing and enter in a warehouse
transfer. After the item arrives at the proper warehouse, they will go
back into the order and complete it.

This is adding extra steps and causes confusion, especially for new
employees.

We would like to use OE and source the item out of the nearby warehouse,
but if we had a magic wand, the item would ship to the customers' default
warehouse first, and then the item can be delivered to the customer. We'd
like to keep the order warehouse to be the customer's default warehouse,
so that our reporting will give the credit for the sale to the default
warehouse for that customer.

I just recently discovered "sourcing rules access" in the inventory
module. The documentation is vague, but it implies that rules can be set
up to accomplish exactly what I want. However, when I do this in our test
company, nothing seems to happen. I don't know if I am not setting it up
properly, or perhaps I am not placing the order properly, or maybe a
nightly process has to run.

Does anyone use this feature? Does it generate a warehouse transfer
request? Do I order the item from the customer's default warehouse and
let it go on back order, or do I go ahead and source it from another
warehouse, and then the "magic" happens?

I realize there's a lot set up and information I may be leaving out, I'm
just wondering in theory if it creates a warehouse transfer automatically.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Randy Rasp

System i Manager
AER Manufacturing