Great info Fred, this is just what we are trying to do. Our problem is
changing System 21 to use the IBM fax option.

Any instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Curt

Everyone answering this message has Identified a third party vendor.

At NORTH we are just using the IBM FAX module. We had a PDF created by
the art department and compiled it as an overlay background for
printing.
We use the same technique for printing PO's locally on a Network Laser
Printer.

What we noticed is that the fax prints a wee bit different then the
local laser, so we had a different Printer file with the same logic.

We normally fax customer order acknowledgements and Purchase orders.
Our Fax Subsystem looks like this.
Subsystem/Job User Type CPU % Function Status
QFAXSBS QSYS SBS .0 DEQW
ACK_FAX QPGMR BCH .0 CMD-FAXACK DEQW
FAXD01AA NORTHOY1 BCH .0 PGM-QFFASC ICFW
FAXD01AC NORTHOY1 BCH .0 PGM-QFFFAXCTL1 DEQW
FAXD01AP NORTHOY1 BCH .0 PGM-QFFSNDCTL1 DEQW
FAXMSTCTL NORTHOY1 BCH .1 PGM-QFFMSTCTL1 DEQW
FAXTRNLOG NORTHOY1 BCH .0 PGM-QFFTRLOG1 DEQW
PO_FAX QPGMR BCH .0 CMD-FAXPO DEQW

If you would like the details on How to set up the PDF Into an overlay,
I can send you the steps. Its not hard. Once you have the Overlay you
must compile the Printer file with special attributes for graphics.
PRINTER DEVICE TYPE :*AFPDS
PAGE SIZE 88/120
LPI 8
CPI 15
OVERFLOW 84, PAGE ROTATION 180
FRONT SIDE OVERLAY: OY1##V3/PURCOVL

The Fun part is once you go into graphics mode; you can print certain
fields larger fonts, like the order number, Item number quantity, price.

A OQTY@P 08S00 24EDTCDE(1)
A FONT(12)
A QTYD@@ 08S00 41EDTCDE(1)
A FONT(12)
A @PNUM 15A 59FONT(12)
A 30 DUED@@ 10A 88FONT(12)

It has worked out very well!

Let me know if you need more info
Once you have done the Overlay and graphics a couple of times, you get
into all sorts of other forms and barcode stuff, without any third party
software.

Fred.