Mon,

SELMSG STRING('Lot number does') MSGF(OSLD3/MSMSGF)
Select/Display Message Utility

Message File . . OSLD3/MSMSGF            String . . LOT NUMBER DOES
Message File Text . . Manufacturing Message file
Msg ID Sev Msg (Abbreviated)
UMJ0216  0 Lot number does not exist at previous countpoint

The error message is UMJ0216 as shown above...
I don't think this error message could be any more misleading or erroneous.

The following comments are based on V3.5.1 code.

It is used in Display File MG200FT conditioned by indicator 27. Work order/Operator Booking
It is used in Display File MG240FT conditioned by indicator 24. Subcontractor Receipts Entry
It is used in Display File MK240FT conditioned by indicator 69. Item/Operator Booking

Let's focus on MK200 since you're booking Work Orders...

The file is PCP30 (Production Activity Control) and there is a field in that file that must be marked with a specific flag or it will trigger indicator 27 on and cause the error...
IMVI30 1 A Inventory Movement Indicator

This error is issued only when F17 is pressed and the following condition is true:...
In the following code segment if you press F17 and IMVI30 <> '1' then you get the error.
0954.00 *
0955.00 * Must be an Inventory Movement Activity Code.
0956.00 *
0957.00 B03 C IMVI30 IFNE '1'
0958.00 B04 C *INKQ IFEQ *ON
0959.00 C MOVE *ON *IN27

Those are the raw facts... Assuming your code is similar to V3.5.1...

What it really means is that the ACTIVITY code you're using to book this movement is not an Inventory Movement Activity Code... Choose a different code...

Or if you are dead set on using whatever code you're trying to use you could change the PCP30 Master file flag to a '1'... You can do that using 26/MDU Maintain Activity Control

MJ010 01 - Your Company User JKLIPA 1/15/04
9:15:56
Production Activity Control Maintenance

   Activity Type....?  SCRAP   Scrap at Operation
   Reporting Type...?  34      SCRAP AT AN OPERATION

  Display Sequence....   134
Activity Indicators            Report Type Ind.
  Employee No......... 3  Optional    3
  Employee Hours...... 3  Optional    3
  Item No............. 1  Mandatory   1
  Operation........... 1  Mandatory   1