Neil,

The Background job SLUPDATE doesn't prevent 2/ARC from running simply because that task is defined as 'C' - Exclusive Use of Company... So unless your task requires a company number and not just && it should not prevent the A/R close option from running... Remember that tasks in the range (0001-0999 and 9000-9999) do not allow company number to be specified (i.e. when loading in Machine Manager)... However, I think you should be thinking about stopping A/R postings way back at the Inventory Month-end close...

You may want to consider altering the program associated with IN month-end close to kill the bespoke pc posting batch job... We Disable our Invoice Print/Post options during the Inventory Month-End process... This usually runs at 10:00 PM on the last Sunday of each month... Month End close is automated via MM too... We don't want any postings to A/R after the Inventory Calendar changes to the next period...

We have a MM scheduled job that actually changes the TASK Definition record for the Invoice Print/Post options 3/OER, 4/OER, 1/ARP and 2/ARP... I defined an identical set of TASKs that call an interactive program called DISABLED in my bespoke environment and set the "version" field on those TASK records to '99'. They just sit there effectively 'hidden' most of the month. The DISABLED program simply states that the option the user is trying to run is temporarily disabled... When the MM scheduled job runs I simply alter the "version" field on those TASK records to change the bespoke records from Version 99 to Version 03... This effectively "unhides" the bespoke task and makes the system use the bespoke environment where it finds the DISABLED task...

The A/R person who performs the close is required to "Re-enable" Invoicing as part of their work instructions when the close is completed... We provide a simple menu option to facilitate that. The program to reenable invoicing simply alters the 03 version back to 99 version in the bespoke task record thus "hiding" the bespoke task. The system then falls through to the blank environment/task and viola. Invoicing is no longer disabled...

It sounds more complicated than it really is...

You simply must kill the batch job as soon as Inventory period changes and you must prevent the task that starts that batch pc posting job from running... Hiding the task in APG35PHY is the most fool-proof way to do that, in my humble opinion...

I'll be interested to see what other creative notions are offered from the list...

Good luck...

I'll send you my consultancy bill...

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Neil Thursby" <neil.thursby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm writing a program which runs all day in batch and posts Invoices from a Pc system to SL and GL thru the standard JBA interfaces. The job is submitted as a SL task from Day Start.

I need to put code in my program to stop it from doing any posting if SL or GL period close is active....and I think I can do that by testing the exclusivity flag on APG01PHY (?)

But, as my job is itself a SL task, won't it stop SL month-end from running in the first place?

Just wondered if anyone can offer any advice please?

Neil.

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com