From: Dan Thomas <dthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'System 21 Users'" <system21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [SYSTEM21]   JBA Reporting
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:44:40 -0400

We have been using Transformation server for about three years now and the
performance increase was 10x to 90x depending upon the application.  Our
queries are web Active Server Pages and MS Access.  We do have a low end
AS/400 (620-2179), but that increase was with a moderately configured SQL
Server box (1 ghz Xeon).  We are ordering a new AS/400 810-2466 and a new
SQL Server.  I'll post performance comparisons when both new boxes are
installed.  I expect the differences to be less pronounced, but still
significant.  The nice thing about this setup is that you can optimize the
SQL Server box for queries.  It also provides a nice standby system (i.e.
stock locations) if your AS/400 ever goes down.  You can set up
Transformation server to send data to multiple SQL Server boxes if your
needs dictate.

One thing to keep in mind is that Transformation server is going to want a
unique key for each file.  This is a real challenge for many of the JBA
files.  Biggest problems we have run into is INP95, PMP09 and CRP09.

Dan Thomas
Director of Information Technology
MDI
4500 Progress Blvd
Louisville, KY  40218
(502) 318-1208

This message is a privileged and confidential communication protected by the
Electronic Communications Act and is intended for the designated recipients
only.  Duplication or distribution of this email beyond the intended
recipients without prior written consent of the sender is strictly
prohibited.