Comms error 5 is one of those lovely ambiguous error messages that tell you only one thing...:
The Client has lost the IP connection to the Host...
It does not and truly cannot tell you why it can no longer find the Host...

Trouble shoot the problem by asking the remote client to attempt to ping the AS/400...
Use WINIPCFG from the dos prompt to see if their client still has a valid IP address...
Remove any extraneous protocols from the client... Like Net/Bui or IPX/SPX...
If you're not using a protocol don't install it on the client...
Ping their address from the AS/400...

Are they using a Server Session or GUI...?

Doe it happen more at one time of day than another...?
Could it be a traffic problem with the ISP...?
Is there any pattern as to when it happens...?
More at one particular location than another...?
Could it be phone lines at the remote location...?

I've never seen Explorer operate over a VPN...
Could it be a firewall or tunneling problem...?
Does Geac support Exploder over VPN...?

Try Chris' suggestion and increase the time-out in Exploder...
Until you pin down the culprit you won't really know the appropriate solution...
There might be more than one cause...
You might need to bring in a packet sniffer and analyze the traffic on the line as a last resort...

Good luck and be sure to let us know if you find a solution...

Thanks.