Jon,

My apologies if the stuff below does not line up correctly in your email
program.

The SAVSYS and SAVLIB(*NONSYS) commands, which are part of the "GO SAVE"
option 21 (save entire system), require a dedicated system.  There is no way
around (that I am aware) of doing a SAVSYS without having a dedicated
system.

However, we only do a SAVSYS quarterly, when we apply a cumulative PTF
package from IBM, upgrade the O/S, or when we apply hi-per PTF's and it only
takes about 20 minutes to do on our 720.  The SAVLIB(*NONSYS) can be done on
a non-dedicated system by combining the SAVLIB(*ALLUSR), SAV, and SAVDLO
command.

We do the equivalent of option 21, minus the SAVSYS, by doing the following
in a CL program.  The CL program is placed on the AS/400 Job Scheduler
(WRKJOBSCDE) and set to run every night at the same time.

End subsystem QINTER and any other interactive user subsystems.  We send a
message to users warning them that they will be knocked off of the system in
X minutes.  This us usually not a problem because we have very few users
that work late.

We then do the following saves:

*** Note: SAVSYS also does a SAVSECDTA and a SAVCFG

*** Note: Save user profiles, etc.

SAVSECDTA  DEV(TAP05) SEQNBR(1) ENDOPT(*LEAVE) +
             CLEAR(*ALL) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) +
                OUTFILE(Z30F/BACKUPDATA) OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)
                MONMSG CPF0000

*** Note: Save devices, lines, etc.

SAVCFG     DEV(TAP05) ENDOPT(*LEAVE) CLEAR(*ALL) +
             OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(Z30F/BACKUPDATA) +
                OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)
                MONMSG CPF0000

**** Note: Save IBM licensed programs

SAVLIB     LIB(*IBM) DEV(TAP05) ENDOPT(*LEAVE) +
                OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)
             CLEAR(*ALL) SAVACT(*SYSDFN) SAVACTWAIT(0) +
             ACCPTH(*YES) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) +
             OUTFILE(Z30F/BACKUPDATA) OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)
                MONMSG CPF0000

End System 21 subsystems that lock certain file like subsystems GLBACK3,
PLBACK3, OSLMJ and any others that you might use.  To stop OSLMJ (the
manufacturing transaction manager job) we created a custom task that has
program MJ599 in the "Batch program to process request" on the task.

*** Note: End G/L subsystem

             RUNAMTASK  APPL(GL) RLSL(03) TASK(0002) PGM(GL953CLP) +
                          CONO(RX) USER(SPRILL)

             ENDSBS     SBS(PLBACK3) OPTION(*IMMED)
             MONMSG     MSGID(CPF9999)

*** Note: If the MGTC (Management Central) server is not ended all objects
in QUSRSYS do not get saved in the *ALLUSR save below.

ENDTCPSVR  SERVER(*MGTC)

*** Note: This saves all of System 21 and any other user libraries

SAVLIB     LIB(*ALLUSR) DEV(TAP05) ENDOPT(*LEAVE) +
             CLEAR(*ALL) SAVACT(*NO) ACCPTH(*YES) +
             OMITLIB(TEST TEST2 TEST3 +
             OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(Z30F/BACKUPDATA) +
                OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)
                MONMSG CPF0000

*** NOTE: COMMAND SAV SAVES ALL DATA THAT IS NOT IN LIBRARY QSYS (user
libraries) AND NOT IN THE DOCUMENT LIBRARY OBJECTS (QDLS)

SAV        DEV('/qsys.lib/tap05.devd') OBJ(('/*') +
             ('/qsys.lib' *OMIT) ('/qdls' *OMIT)) +
             ENDOPT(*LEAVE)
                MONMSG CPF0000
*** Note: Save documents and folders

SAVDLO     DLO(*ALL) DEV(TAP05) ENDOPT(*LEAVE) +
             OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(Z30F/SAVDLODATA)
                MONMSG CPF0000

Restart your subsystems.

My program does other things like releasing a job queue that contains
nightly jobs that we want to run after the backup is complete.

This method does not require a dedicated system and is fully supported by
IBM for Business Recovery contracts where IBM will restore your system for
you.  We have tested this with IBM and it works.

You can do DSPLOG to confirm that you are saving every object in every
library.

Good luck,

Steve