Richard

I have successfully implemented Aldon CMS on GEAC System 21 3.5.2 SP4 and
have it working since July 2002. More than 1000 checkouts (modifications)
have been applied since, and the success rate is 99 %.

I have mapped 4 packages inside Aldon - GEAC System 21 was by far the most
difficult.
There are lots of details to talk about. They pertain to the change
management package you choose. They also depend on the philosophy of
versions and layers that you have on your GEAC implementation: base
version, vendor modified version, custom version, the links between them
and the libraries attached to each layer. There also are issues with some
GEAC modules that you might have installed. They usually impose redundancy
between objects and this is a major concern for every change management
system.

Our initial process has had this heavy analyze step. It finally forced some
decisions. The library structure was simplified (we modified our Custom
layer), the environments (development, integration, quality and production)
were revamped and we decided what we'll map inside Aldon and what not.

Once the cleanup finished, it's much easier. Aldon now manages more than 24
k GEAC objects and we have only minor issues / fine tunings.

Hope that it answers your question, which was for a Change Management
System.
If you want to add a cross-reference tool, Aldon has its own feature, but
it also integrates Hawkeye through a special interface.

Thx

Andrei Centea
AS/400 admin
Sara Lee Branded Apparel of Canada (Canadelle)
Montreal
514-723-8428

                      <richard.evans@deltaa

                      pparel.com>                  To:
<jbausers-l@midrange.com>
                      Sent by:                     cc:

                      jbausers-l-bounces@mi        Subject:  [SYS21]   Change
Management
                      drange.com

                      01/15/2003 09:36 AM

                      Please respond to

                      GEAC/JBA System 21

                      Users

Has anyone with source successfully configured a change management system
index all of the file/field/program relationships in GEAC?   Given the
number of
libraries,  and that PTFs are compiled from non-existent ones (although
source
is hopefully moved to the appropriate location) , I would think the initial
mapping would be a nightmare if not impossible.   However, if successful,
time
saved on research might make up for it.

I searched the archives prior to posting and did find one company (Fossil)
using
Aldon but,  as I interpreted it,  they were only indexing modified objects.

Another company (Sara Lee) was beginning the mapping process last May.

If successful I'd like to know the package,  how difficult the
configuration
was,  and whether the vendor assisted with the mapping (wouldn't it be nice
if a
vendor offered a GEAC template?)

Thanks,

Richard