Pete,

You may need to hire some consulting time from geac or a third party of your
choice...
There may be many of them lurking on this list who may approach you privately
after they get wind of this...  It's a free country after all...

It sounds to me like you could certainly set up some Routes and mark them as
Scheduled as opposed to Work Orders in order to get your raw lumber through the
sorting and drying steps to create the usable raw material for the rest of your
process...  Then you would simply book production against the drying and sorting
steps...  The end result would be available physical inventory at the RM
stockroom.  This you could think of as a "sub-assembly" to feed Work Orders if
you choose to use them...  Schedules are much easier to use than Work Orders (in
my humble opinion) so unless your process requires you to use the Work Orders
you may want to consider repetitive Schedules wherever you can...  Then you
would create other Routes to define the rest of your Finished Goods processing
which would consume this RM stock...  (V3.5.2 has apparently made some major
improvements to the mfg. module so what version your running might make a
difference in how you set things up...  We're still stuck at V3.5.1 so I cannot
speak to the enhanced features in V3.5.2)...

This would achieve your desired result and with a few AFI setups you would be
feeding your G/L with the value of each stock movement...

This sounds like a really good fit for this software, you just need someone who
has the knowledge and experience to set it up for you correctly the first time
and can train your users how to maintain it and use it correctly...  And you
have to get your users to buy into the process and use it 100%...  If they
refuse to use the system then it will be a big waste of time...  But if you get
them to trust it and use it, this could be a wonderful thing...  The trick is
keeping on top of the inventory and making sure those numbers are correct on a
daily basis...  If your inventories get off and people stop trusting the numbers
they will quickly go back to their old way of doing things...

Trust me, you don't want to try to figure this one out on your own...  Hire
someone who's been there and done that and gotten the T-shirt...

Good luck and let us know how this project works out for you...

"Pete Sorensen" <psorensen@woodcraftind.com> on 11/26/2002 09:19:07 AM

Please respond to jbausers-l@midrange.com

  To:          jbausers-l@midrange.com

  cc:          (bcc: Jeff Klipa/Harvard)

  Subject      [SYS21]   Re: [SYS21] Backflushing
  :

Today, we're not using System 21, but we sure need to.  We purchase raw
lumber, then put it through a half manual/half automated process to get
it into piles of like lengths.  These piles then go through two
additonal steps (drying) prior to being issued to WIP.  In today's world
the part number does not change, and manual entries are made into the
G/L to reflect the additional value.  I'm looking for a way to make it
appear as nothing more than a transfer for the mfg personnel.

>>> Jeff_Klipa/Harvard@harvardind.com 11/26/02 07:58AM >>>
I get the impression you're using Work Orders and not Schedules...
We're completely repetitive so all our stuff is done with Production
Schedules
so no Work Order Number is required to do the backflush...
We're at V3.5.1...

"Pete Sorensen" <psorensen@woodcraftind.com> on 11/26/2002 08:55:59 AM

Please respond to jbausers-l@midrange.com

  To:          jbausers-l@midrange.com

  cc:          (bcc: Jeff Klipa/Harvard)

  Subject      [SYS21]   Backflushing
  :

Does anyone know if it is possible to process a single level backflush
without having a manufacturing order number?
at http://archive.midrange.com/jbausers-l.

at http://archive.midrange.com/jbausers-l.