 Excellent response Stan, thanks for the input. I still would believe that
manufacturing should check that the inventory did exist and advise you
proactively of the inventory problems that you speak of below, and make the
user fix them before booking the finished material.
 You can use all the same arguments on the inventory side that have been
made here for manufacturing ie: trying to move material that has already
moved or issuing material that has not been received. All these situations
in inventory work and stop the transaction. So why should we not expect the
same function from manufacturing.
  Just another issue to make the days seem shorter and the project list a
little longer.

Thanks everybody,

Keith

                      "STANLEY ROCKEY"
                      <srockey@btcgrp.co        To:
<jbausers-l@midrange.com>
                      m>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: [SYS21]
Negative Inventories in Manufacturing
                      jbausers-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      09/27/2002 01:51
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      jbausers-l

The assumption made in manufacturing for backflushed items when reporting
production is that since you made the parent you must have had sufficient
components to produce the reported quantity of the parent.  If inventory is
driven negative on a component, the assumption is that possibly a receipt
transaction of some type has yet to be reported for the component.  If
inventory continues to remain negative, it's time to cycle count the
component.  Either the inventory balance is wrong or the BOM quantity per
is
too high for the component compared to actual usage.
There is no field in the Mfg database that will cause the system to refrain
from driving inventory negative for blackfushed components.  Some years ago
a user in NW Ohio attempted to change the system to not allow negative
balances and ended up with a real mess.

Stan Rockey
513-295-8125
srockey@btcgrp.com