Mike,
Problem 1 - we had something very similar and it took a long time to
isolate it.  The problem/fix related in-part to use of a piece of
Security software.  We found it was down to a setting on the 400, and
the following solved our problem. (As with any system settings change,
please ensure you are happy with the background and consequences before
going ahead.)

".......There is a known problem with IBM's V4R4 PTF SF63100 and higher,
including OS/400 V4R5. This is due to an engineering change in OS/400
that permanently changes the way certain server functions work. Note:
the IBM PMR# you can reference is: 27094-180.

After you install the corrective PTF (or upgrade to OS/400 V4R5), you
must also change the prestart setup for job QZDASOINIT in your QSERVER
subsystem. To do this, process the following commands:

CHGPJE SBSD(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT) MAXUSE(1)
CHGPJE SBSD(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASSINIT) MAXUSE(1)
CHGPJE SBSD(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDAINIT) MAXUSE(1)

(Information courtesy of Kisco Information Systems website.)

Problem 2 - wish I knew

Problem 3 - set the CA connection option on the PC to "prompt as
needed", not "always prompt"

Hope that helps,

Neil.