We use QINACTITV  set at 120  minutes to kick off those dear users who leave
their terminal signed on when they leave for the day...  The night job
automatically clears all record locks when we take down QINTER each night so we
don't care about the record locks either...  We use T1 lines over a Frame relay
for our remote connections...
We're running a model 720 at V4R5M0...

If QINACTITV were really the culprit here then the joblog from the job that
failed would clearly indicate that :
And I quote here :
                         Additional Message Information

 Message ID . . . . . . :   CPI1127       Severity . . . . . . . :   40
 Message type . . . . . :   Information
 Date sent  . . . . . . :   04/19/02      Time sent  . . . . . . :   09:39:11

 Message . . . . :   All jobs at work station QPADEV0230 ended.
 Cause . . . . . :   All jobs at work station QPADEV0230 have been ended, since
   the amount of time specified in system value QINACTITV has ended, and all
   jobs at the work station have not been active during the time specified by
   the system value QINACTITV.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you're having a problem with IP connectivity...
You need to attempt to glean some more intelligence from the Job Logs of the
failed sessions...
An unrecoverable device error on the workstation will probably be the vague
error you see for this kind of problem...
It could be a line quality issue, or a traffic congestion issue, or any number
of other things...
You said you were using the "Internet as the connectivity medium." and goodness
only knows what that could mean...
Once you open your self up to the uncertainty of the internet you lose all
control over they quality and type of connection on the client side...
You also have many more variables that you could point to as being the
culprit...  I would not look at the AS/400 as the first, best source of the
problem or solution...

The AS/400  (I hate the name I-Series) is very robust at perpetuating a good
quality IP signal so before you go tweaking the AS/400 I would do a little more
detective work and try to identify some of the more likely and I'd like to say
usual suspects...

By the way, what model of AS/400 are you running and what version of the OS are
you currently running...?

I also doubt that QDSCJOBITV will be found culpable here either...

                           QDSCJOBITV - Help

Time interval before disconnected job ends.  Specifies the length of
time in minutes an interactive job can be disconnected before it is
ended.  An interactive job can be disconnected with the DSCJOB command,
when it has been inactive for an interval of time (the system values
QINACTIV and QINACTMSGQ), or when an I/O error occurs at the interactive
job's work station (the system value QDEVRCYACN).

A change to this system value takes effect immediately.  The shipped
value is 240 minutes.

By the time this system value kicks in the job has already disconnected...
So keeping the disconnected job active on the OS seems slightly ridiculous in
terms of system resources...
The likelihood that an internet connection would be reestablished once
disconnected is not very high.

More likely that this system value originated from the old twin-axe days when
you could temporarily disconnect your Green-Screen session and come back to it
say after lunch...
It looked like you were signed off but if you signed back on it would restore
you to where you left off...  This was a neat feature, and still is...  But if
your gone longer than the value stored in QDSCJOBITV then your job is ended...
Remember this:
                                 System Request

 Select one of the following:

      1. Display sign on for alternative job
      2. End previous request
      3. Display current job
      4. Display messages
      5. Send a message
      6. Display system operator messages
      7. Display work station user

     90. Sign off

Hope that helps...

Please let us know if/how you resolve the problem...

Thanks.