Rick,

Believe me the users do not have any access to AM...  They have a simple menu
option that targets these 4 specific tasks and all they can do is re-enable
those 4 tasks...  Nothing else...

We've been doing ours since 1998, and initially I tried to push the close off
onto the users but I was convinced it was far too critical a process to place
into the hands of 14 different users at 14 different locations...  Reluctantly I
agreed and set about the task of automating the Inventory Close...

Your method does essentially the same thing...  Just a slightly different
approach...
But what happens when your user takes a restricted option while that object is
renamed...?
Does it simply fall over or give them an error of some kind...?

You must be having your Summer downunder just about now...  How's the
weather...?

Cheers...

PS - This was a great question for this forum...!

I agree with Jeff.

Since implementing S21 back in '97 we have used basically the same process
- run inventory manually at EOM and disable the invoicing tasks until AFTER
AR is closed. However the reasoning we used was so that these invoices did
not appear on statements and thus confuse any customers. Either way, same
process. However, we used to simply remove the interactive program from the
OE invoicing tasks (and in our case JC also), this got rather boring going
through all the tasks and deleting the IA pgm and then having to retype it
back in again later. Next advancement (it takes us IT guys a while to catch
on to things to save ourselves work although we seem to achieve it for
others!) was to simply set up a couple of macros in client access and that
has worked well for longer than I can remember. Now, however, we are just
about to try and shed the majority of EOM tasks back to users. No way are
users getting AM access to play with the tasks so we have had to take
another quantum leap (small frog hop!) and we now use a CLP which simply
does a rename of the 'interactive' objects from the invoicing tasks for OE
and JC by adding a suffix of 'EOM'. We then have another CLP which RNM's
them back again after the AR is closed.

Another trick is that we have a bespoke menu onto which ALL the EOM tasks
are put (including options for the RNM CLP's) so we just 'follow the
numbers' each month, being careful NOT to run the specific end year tasks
associated with IN and SA.

BR

Rick Allen
IT Manager