This is in response to the questions raised regarding upgrades, licensing
and software support (maintenance).

Your original contract with JBA would have comprised two parts - a license
agreement and a support agreement.  These were often separate schedules on
the contract.

You paid for a license to use the product in perpetuity, but on a specified
AS/400 model and serial number (unless you negotiated something different).
When the AS/400 is upgraded, even if the serial number doesn't change,
there may be a license fee payable, but again, this depends on the terms of
your individual agreement.

This license to use the product is totally separate to and, to my
knowledge, not conditional upon there being a current software support
agreement being in place.  Therefore, if you elect to cancel your
maintenance with Geac, this does not affect your right to use the software.

If anyone would like any assistance in unravelling the mysteries of what
was JBA, and is now Geac, pricing policy, the real implications of
cancelling maintenance, approach to upgrades etc. please feel free to give
me a call.  I was an Account Manager with JBA for 13 years and am willing
to share my experience.

Kind regards,
Chris Harwood

Home Office:   919-562-9362